Independent Living Advocacy
promoting the empowerment of disabled people

Independent Living Advocacy Independent Living Advocacy Independent Living Advocacy Independent Living Advocacy



If you have a concern or complaint ILA can assist with support, guidance and, in certain circumstances, make a complaint on problematic issues, anxieties or concerns.  Thus empowering you and ensuring that your voice is heard.


This service can be delivered in various ways and clients can choose options to make informed decisions on how they would choose to proceed with their issues, views or concerns.


In some circumstances clients request support and attendance at meetings for face to face discussion to resolve issues.


Support can also be offered with assistance in drafting letters of complaint, agendas for meetings, laying out their issues and, where appropriate, empower clients by attending meetings with them.


Where appropriate ILA can signpost clients to appropriate agencies dealing with specific issues or complaints:


  • Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) dealing with complaints with any NHS funded service and can encompass some aspects of social care.


  • Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) dealing with more generic issues and can offer legal advice.


  • Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at local NHS level to resolve problems and issues in early stages to avoid instigating a formal complaints procedure.


ILA can offer support with tribunals, assisting in compiling evidence and providing timely information to tribunal panels.  ILA can also provide encouragement and support by attending with you at tribunals to appeal decisions.


Talking through a concern or anxiety can help identify the nature of the problem and work out options to resolve it, and in some cases providing relevant information to signpost the best way forward.


If you feel that you would like to discuss your concerns please contact ILA on 01245 380888 and ask to speak to the Duty Advocate who will be happy to assist you. 


Alternatively, you can complete a formal referral on – ILA are funded to deal with referrals for the following Service Groups:


Physical & Sensory Impairment

Older people (over 65 years)